A thank you to Gary
It seems that earlier today on March 4, the co-creator of Dungeons and Dragons, Gary Gygax died.
I know I haven't posted in forever, and I doubt no one cares but I feel the need to let it all out.
While obviously I am too young to ever play any of the original versions of D&D I am a player of 3.5 and looking forward to the release of 4.0 coming out soon. While D&D is an entertaining game on it's own, it's influence on the entire gaming industry is wide sweeping. Every single RPG be it Pen and Paper, a single player video game, or a MMO has this man to thank for the creation and popularization of this genre.
While I was certainly not as influenced by Mr. Gygax as many older gamers his death still resonates with me for his many gifts and influences to the gaming industry and nerd society.
RIP Gary- May you always roll 20s
I know I haven't posted in forever, and I doubt no one cares but I feel the need to let it all out.
While obviously I am too young to ever play any of the original versions of D&D I am a player of 3.5 and looking forward to the release of 4.0 coming out soon. While D&D is an entertaining game on it's own, it's influence on the entire gaming industry is wide sweeping. Every single RPG be it Pen and Paper, a single player video game, or a MMO has this man to thank for the creation and popularization of this genre.
While I was certainly not as influenced by Mr. Gygax as many older gamers his death still resonates with me for his many gifts and influences to the gaming industry and nerd society.
RIP Gary- May you always roll 20s

1 Comments:
After hearing that Gary died last night- from you, ironically- I busted out my roommate's copy of 1.0 and then 2.0 and looked through it with them. 1.0 had a very interesting system, and I love the system in 2.0, even if it is a little confusing. We rolled some checks for our characters using those systems, and we all shared a few laughs at the results. Gary's work has influenced many game systems, weather they be tabletop or of the video verity. He was truly one of the most influential game designers of our century.
He will be missed.
Post a Comment
<< Home